Even before Warner Brothers launched the first Harry Potter film, which reaped in millions of new fans all over the world, J.K. Rowling’s magical seven-part series about The Boy Who Lived was already a phenomenal success with children and adult readers alike pottermore quiz all questions The last installment for the movie version was released in 2009, and the first part of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is set to be released in November 2010. In between the two movies, you can be sure a lot of Harry’s, Ron’s, and Hermione’s will be walking around this Halloween. If you want to be one of them, here are some enchanted Harry Potter costume ideas.
Harry Potter Halloween Costume
Naturally, you would want to be Harry. After all, being the Chosen One comes with a lot of perks. But there are several Harry Potter costume ideas to choose from. First is the long, black Gryffindor robe that you can buy in adult and children’s sizes. The Gryffindor robe is the most basic thing you will need. In fact, you are sure to recreate any character from the Gryffindor house with the robe at hand. You just have to dye your hair red if you want to be one of the Weasleys or rumple your hair to make it big if you want to be Hermione.
Of course, you can also portray Harry in his crimson Quidditch robes and a number of necessary accessories to complete the look. The officially-licensed Quidditch costume looks exactly like Harry’s robe in the movie, long and flowing with an attached hood and yellow stripes on the sleeves. The Gryffindor house crest is emblazoned on the left chest. If you really want to be the ultra-talented Gryffindor Quidditch team captain, make sure you also get a broom and a Quidditch helmet for your child.
Harry Potter Costume Ideas for Darker, Sinister Characters
Everybody else wants to be Harry or Ron or Hermione, so why not spice things up this Halloween by dressing up as one of the villains? Long black robes are still the basic necessities, you just have to know how to customize them to bring out a more specific identity. Officially-licensed Harry Potter costumes are also available for the following characters:
- Voldemort (available in adult and children’s sizes)
- Dementors (also available in adult and children’s sizes)
- Death Eaters (comes in male, female, and children’s sizes)
Harry Potter Costume Accessories
It’s the little things that matter, and if you don’t pay attention to the details, your friends will never be able to tell who you really are. The following Harry Potter costume accessories are a must if you want to be authentic:
- Harry’s Broom – If you’re dressing up as a Quidditch player, then make sure you have a Firebolt 360 in hand. Or else, no one will think you are a Quidditch player.
- Harry’s Wand – Although you certainly won’t get one with real phoenix feather at its core, you can purchase a Harry Potter wand or make it yourself.
- Harry’s Glasses – How can Harry see without his round eyeglasses?
- Gryffindor Scarf – This gold and crimson scarf is seen worn by many members of the Gryffindor house during the colder months of the year.
- Gryffindor Tie – Complete your look with this accessory.
- Wizard Hat – This pointy wizard hat is required at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Low Budget? No Problem! Make Your Own Harry Potter Halloween Costume!
If you have no money to buy a new school robe costume, make it yourself. That black graduation robe that has been hanging in your mom’s closet since forever is a fabulous starter and you could embellish it with Harry Potter costume accessories that you can either buy or make yourself. The wand and the glasses, for instance, are easy to look for, and with some patience, you can get hold of a crimson and yellow striped scarf. And don’t forget makeup plays a huge role as well. The lightning bolt scar on Harry’s forehead tops the entire look.