A compound sentence is a sentence that has as a minimum unbiased clauses joined via way of means of a comma, semicolon or conjunction. An unbiased clause is a clause that has a topic and verb and paperwork a entire thought.
An instance of a compound sentence is, ‘This residence is simply too expensive, and that residence is simply too small.’ This sentence is a compound sentence as it has unbiased clauses, ‘This residence is simply too expensive’ and ‘that residence is simply too small’ separated via way of means of a comma and the conjunction ‘and.’
Compound Sentences and Meaning
When unbiased clauses are joined with coordinators (additionally known as coordinating conjunctions) commas and semicolons, they do extra than simply be a part of the clauses. They upload which means and go with the drift in your writing. First let’s examine the coordinators you could use to enroll in unbiased clauses. They are:
Note that they shape the reachable mnemonic FANBOYS. The 3 you’ll use most customarily are ‘and,’ ‘however’ and ‘or.’
Here’s an instance of the way coordinating conjunctions upload which means:
‘I suppose you would revel in the party, however I do not thoughts in case you live domestic.’
In this sentence, the coordinator ‘however’ indicates a clean dating among the 2 unbiased clauses, on this case, that the speaker is making an offer that the character being addressed isn’t always predicted to comply with it. Without the coordinator ‘however,’ the connection isn’t always apparent, making the writing uneven and the which means much less clean:
‘I suppose you would revel in the party. I do not thoughts in case you live domestic.’
You also can be a part of unbiased clauses with a semicolon (;) , which seems some thing like a move among a colon and a comma. If you be a part of clauses with a semicolon, you upload an abrupt pause, developing a one-of-a-kind form of effect, as proven within side the sentence below:
‘He stated he failed to thoughts if I stayed domestic; it quickly have become clean he wasn’t being sincere.’
You need to use a semicolon whilst the unbiased clauses are related, however comparison in a manner which you need to face out. In the sentence above, the comparison is that the character being pointed out withinside the first clause sounded sincere whilst he stated he failed to thoughts if the speaker stayed domestic, however withinside the 2nd clause, the speaker is telling you that the character being pointed out changed into now no longer sincere. You ought to simply as without problems have written the sentence the use of a coordinating conjunction:
‘He stated he failed to thoughts if I stayed domestic, however it quickly have become clean he wasn’t being sincere.’
The sentence nonetheless way similar to before, however the use of the coordinator ‘however’ softens the effect of the second one clause.
Comparing Sentence Types
Sentences provide shape to language, and in English, they arrive in 4 sorts: easy, compound, complicated and compound-complicated. When you operate numerous sorts together, your writing is extra interesting. Combining sentences correctly takes practice, however you may be glad with the result.
- The easy sentence is an unbiased clause with one difficulty and one verb. For instance: ‘Katniss can live to tell the tale within side the forest.’
- The compound sentence is, as cited previously, or extra unbiased clauses joined with a comma, semicolon or conjunction. For instance: ‘Katniss can live to tell the tale within side the forest, and he or she is a successful archer.’
- The complicated sentence combines unbiased clauses with established clauses. For instance: ‘When ready together along with her bow and arrows, Katniss can live to tell the tale within side the forest.’
- The compound-complicated sentence has as a minimum unbiased clauses and one or extra established clauses. For instance: ‘When wearing her bow and arrows, Katniss can live to tell the tale within side the forest, and he or she is a successful archer.
Examples of Compound Sentences:
- Sarah walked to elegance, however Kevin ran.
- I need hamburgers, however Lois wishes pizza.
- The photographer held up a bear, and the little boy smiled.
- I fell out of the bed, so Mom got here to test on me.
- The canine buried his bone, and the cat sniffed round it.
- I changed into late; however, the elegance had now no longer started.
- I left my bag at the bus; therefore, I did now no longer have a pencil.
- Can I pass domestic with you, so we will do our homework together?
- It changed into very warm outside, and the ice cream melted.
- Our group attempted hard, however we misplaced the game.